Friday, May 5, 2023

Guerilla Gardening with Pumpkin Spice

                                                     Guerilla Gardening with Pumpkin Spice

            Greetings, my name is K.W and I am currently taking the course Food. In this class we have been learning many things science and math wise about the ecosystem and gardening. Some of the topics we have discussed are micro and macro nutrients, Darwin vs Fukuoka autotrophs, hetrophs, saprotrophs, cycles involving carbon, water, and nitrogen, abundance, distribution etc. In the mathematics case we have been mainly discussing geometry and perimeter, area, and volume, we have also been discussing scaling and how that affects gardens. For this action project I was assigned to make my own garden recycling something from home which is also known as Guerilla Gardening. 

    For my garden I decided to go with a Halloween theme and use an old candy basket, I also added a fake finger to point me to where I planted my seeds. This is my Halloween themed garden, now I will take through the steps of making this garden. First, I got soil and filled my bucket up with the soil, next I planted flowers and added lettuce seeds. Then I added my fake finger, added water, and placed in a sunny place. I also took measurements of the height and circumference of the bucket. I also did the math of the volume and conversion factor of my garden. Equally as interesting, this project was partially inspired by Ron Finley a magnificent guerilla gangsta gardener. He is gardening and giving back to the community to help with food insecurity. He is always taking back the word gangsta and giving it a new meaning- hip, cool, innovative, revolutionary, resolute, vital, and cutting edge. 

 
Garden
     Volume- 3.14 x radius x radius x height- 3.14 x 2.75 x 2.75 x 7 volume=166.223
Weight of small cup of soil- 2.7 grams 
Conversion Factor- 15.984
Weight of Soil in garden- 983.745



        Summing this all up, this action project was one of the easiest and most fun out of the projects I have done for this class. This was a project that allowed creativity to be showcased, yet also exhibited what I have learned. If I were to do anything differently, I would have switched my basket for something that doesn't curve in because its blocking sunlight access. 

          

Garden
"GROWING YOUR OWN FOOD IS LIKE PRINTING YOUR OWN MONEY..."

- Ron Finle

        
        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live your truth

                 Hello, my name is K.W and this is my last term as a freshman in high school. This year has been full of learning lessons an...